How do I create effective searches?
To help ensure you get the results you are seeking, follow these steps each time you perform a Lexis Advance Pacific search.
- Verify that the active matter ID at the top of the page is correct. If it is not correct, select the Matter button and assign or create the correct matter ID. Note that using a matter ID may be optional for your organisation or user account. For more information, see How do I assign a Matter ID to my research?
- Identify whether you want to search all publications and topics, only specific publications, or only specific topics. (In a later step, you can
also filter your search in other ways.)
If you want to... Then do this... Search all publications and topics Go to the next step. Lexis Advance Pacific searches all publications and topics by default. Search only specific publications Select the Browse button at the top of the page and select Publications in the left margin of the box that appears. Navigate to the publication you want to search, select the publication name, and select Add publication as a search filter. Search only specific topics Select the Browse button at the top of the page and select Topics in the left margin of the box that appears. Navigate to the topic you want to search, select the topic name, and select Add topic as a search filter.
- Enter your search terms. When thinking of the terms you want to enter, consider the differences between natural language and terms &
connectors searches. Also consider using wildcard characters to find variations of words and names.
- For more information on natural language and terms & connectors searches, see Creating natural language or terms & connectors searches.
- For detailed information on terms & connectors searches, see Understanding terms & connectors searches.
- For detailed information on wildcards, see Using * and ! to find variations at the end of root words and Using ? to find variations within words.
- Further define the scope of your search by verifying and correcting any filters currently applied to the search. A number in the Search: [filters] button at the right edge of the search box identifies how many filters are currently assigned to your search. To view the assigned filters, select the Search: [filters] button. Any currently assigned filters appear to the right of the Narrow By heading. To delete any unwanted filters, select the "X" to the right of the filter name. If you want to apply any filters that you have previously used or saved as favourites, select the Recent & Favourites heading and select any filters you want from that list. For information on adding other filters, see How do I limit my search to specific jurisdictions or content types?, How do I limit my search to specific legal topics?, and How do I limit my search to specific publications?
- Select Search.