How multiple search connectors are evaluated
Lexis Advance® Pacific uses the following order of operations for connector searches:
- proximity connectors1, such as near/n, onear/n, /seg, w/n, pre/n, NOT/n, NOT/seg, /s, /p, w/sent, w/para
- and not
Example: bankrupt! w/25 discharg! and student or college or education! w/5 loan
This search query is processed in the following way:
- or has the highest priority, so it operates first. In this example, student or college or education! is processed as a unit, which is created by the or connector.
- w/5 ties together the term loan and the student or college or education! unit.
- w/25 operates next and creates a unit of the bankrupt! w/25 discharg! terms.
- and operates last and links the units formed in the second and third items above.
1 Proximity connectors are processed from the smallest to the largest