Work with Text in a Document
While viewing a full document, you can select text in the document and use it to start a new search. You can also copy text from the document (including citation information) to the Clipboard so you can paste it into another text editor. Finally, you can save text from the document to a work folder.
To do this:
- Complete your search and select the document you want to review from the results list.
- While viewing the full document, complete any of the following tasks:
To Do This Search based on text you have selected
- Highlight the text (up to 1,000 characters). A shortcut menu appears.
- Choose Add to search. The Search Selected Text dialog box appears.
- Click Search. The search is completed.
Copy document text to the Clipboard
- Use your mouse to select the text you want to copy. A shortcut menu of options appears.
Note: Options on this dialog box may be different based on the type of document you are viewing.
- Choose Copy (Advanced) to select the options you want to apply to the text you are copying. The Copy Selected Text to Clipboard dialog box appears.
- Review the citation format you want assigned to the copied text. Current format shows the last format used, or you can select a new format from the New format drop-down list and then click Apply.
- To include references in your citation, select Include these references followed by the individual reporters for your style guide.
- To copy the citation as a hyperlink that you can paste into a document, select Copy citation as a hyperlink.
- If it's available, select the Include parallel citations checkbox to include the parallel reporters in the citation.
- Click the Copy & Close button to copy the text and close the dialog box. Then, paste the text into a word processor or other text editor.
Save text to a folder
- Use your mouse to highlight the text you want to save. A shortcut menu that contains options for working with the selected text appears.
- Choose Add to folder. The Add to Folder dialog box appears.
- Click the Save Options tab.
- In the Document Title box, enter a title for the block of text you want to save, or keep the title that is displayed.
- Add any notes about your research to the Notes box.
- In the Save In section of the tab, select the folder you want to add the text to, or select Create New Folder to create a new folder.
- To share the text with other users, select the Share with Others tab and then enter the name or email address of the person you want to share with. Then click Add to Share.
Note: To share with others within your network or group of users, enter the peer's name. To share with users outside your group, enter the user's email address. Click Add to Share to add the name to the list.
- Click Save to save the text.