Navigating the Home Page
From the Lexis Advance® Quicklaw® home page, you have flexible research options allowing you to work the way you want.
Reduce search time and avoid sifting through results with intuitive pre-search and post-search filters that help you precisely target relevant documents. Search Term Maps highlight your specific terms — in colour — to help you arrive at the most on-point results quickly.
QuickCITE® Citator ensures your decisions are based on good authority by cases with over 2 million records. QuickCITE® records also include a commentary section, that provides a list of citing references and hyperlinks to commentary documents that consider the case in question.
- Search broadly or go right to a favourite source
- Narrow your search up-front or further down the road
- Find sources in specific content areas
- Select a previous search from history to run again
- Monitor alerts and get automatic updates on searches
The Global Navigation bar contains the following options:
- A product selector ( ) is displayed first if you have access to more than one LexisNexis® product.
- The Lex product logo returns you to the home page.
- The Browse tab allows you to browse sources or legal topics by drilling down through a hierarchy, based on country, to search for specific topics.
- The English and Français tabs allow you to switch the product between Canadian English or French.
- The Client: drop-down menu allows you to set or add a new client to your research.
- The History tab provides access to recent searches, documents and QuickCITE® citations.
- The More drop-down menu that contains access to saved alerts, notifications, general- and Quicklaw®-specific settings, as well as other commands. For details, see The More Menu.
Start your research by typing your search terms into the red search box and then click on the magnifying glass, to search across all content types. Use the Search Everything drop-down menu to select specific content categories, topics or favourite sources. The red search box has a search assistant that intuitively searches for exact company names, people or publication names through search suggestions.
Tip: Quicklaw®uses Natural Language to search by default; if your search includes a connector ( and, or, and not...) that are not within a quoted phrase, Quicklaw® automatically runs the search as a Terms and Connectors search.
The pods in the lower section of the home page (Alerts, Favourites, History, Support, etc.) provide quick access to many frequently used features. You can customise this area of the home page by dragging and dropping the pods to arrange them in the order you want.
Note: To drag and drop a pod, use your mouse to click inside the title area of the pod (just under the coloured line), then drag the pod in the direction you want it. A target is displayed where you can drop the pod.