How do I create and manage my alerts?
You can create an alert, which is a search that runs automatically and notifies you of any results. You can specify how often the alert is run.
To get the best, on-target alert results, refine your search before saving it as an alert. Here are some suggestions:
- Use search terms that are specific to your research, joined by connectors to define the relationships of the search terms. For example, medical negligence or clinical negligence
- Avoid terms that are too general, such as illness or behavior.
- Filter your results before creating your alert. On the results page, select from the filters in the left pane to specify the jurisdiction, time frame, practice area, and so on, that you want to focus on.
Once you've created an alert, you can review it and make further changes to it, including reviewing any search results that have been found through the alert, pausing it, deleting it, or sharing it with others.
To create and work with an alert:
- Run a search.
- When you have the type of results you want, select the alert icon () above your results. The Alert dialog box appears.
- Provide the information required on the form. (Using this form, you can specify how often you want to be notified of any results, how you want to receive the results, and other options. See Create New Search Alert Page for information about each of the fields on this form.)
You can review all of your alerts by choosing the Alerts in the [UserName] drop-down list (the list label shows your user name), located at the top of any page. When you first view the alerts list, it is filtered based on which experience you are working in when you view all alerts.
Once you've created an alert, you can work with it, including updating the properties of the alert and checking for new results that have been found for it.
To do this:
- Choose Alerts from the [Username] menu. The Alerts results page appears.
- Complete any of the following tasks:
- To view the alert results, click the alert title.
- To edit the properties of the alert, click the Edit button for the specific alert.
- To temporarily pause an alert to keep it from running, select the alert and click the Pause button and confirm your action. (To restart the alert monitoring, either select the alert and click the Start button in the toolbar, or click Start located at the bottom of the alert result.)
- To delete an alert, select it and click the Delete button. (To delete results the results of an alert, select the alert and choose Delete Alerts Results from the More drop-down list.
- To mark alerts results as read, select the alerts you want to mark and choose Mark results as read from the More drop-down list.
- To filter the results list, choose the options you want from the Narrow By pane.
- To update the alert results, select the Update Now button () under the title of the alert you want to update, then when the Update Shepard's Alert box appears, select Update Now.