How do I restrict my search to a specific jurisdiction, category, or practice area?
You can restrict your search to a specific jurisdiction, legal topic or content type in one of these ways.
From Explore Content:
- Select Content Type, Federal, State, or Practice Area under Explore Content.
- Select the content you want to search in.
- On the search form that appears, select Search all sources on this page or select the specific sources you want to search in.
- Select the search button ( ).
To restrict your search using filters:
- Enter your search terms in the search box, using either natural language or Boolean search construction.
- Legal phrases and documents - If the terms you are typing are closely related to a legal phrase or document, you'll see a list of suggestions you can select from. Click one of these if you want to see the results for the suggestion instead of what you are typing. The legal phrase or document name will replace the terms you were entering in the search box.
- Sources - If the terms you are typing are closely related to a source name, you'll see a list of possible source names displayed beneath the search box, next to Add Source as a Filter. Select one of these if you want to search in the source. Your selections will display under the search box. Click Clear to remove them.
- Select Search: Everything to the left of the search button ( ).
- Select Jurisdiction, Category, or Practice Areas & Topics from the left pane.
- Select the checkboxes for the filters you want to use.
- Click the search button ( ).