How do I restrict my search to a specific practice area or legal topic?
You can restrict your search to a specific topic or content type in one the following ways.
From Explore Content:
- Select Content Type, Federal, State, or Practice Area under Explore Content.
- Select the content you want to search in.
- On the search form that appears, select Search all sources on this page or select the specific sources you want to search in.
- Select the search button ( ).
To restrict your search using the Practice Area & Topic filter:
- On the search form, enter your search terms in the search box.
- Select the down arrow () to the right of the Search: Everything button.
- Select Practice Area & Topic under Narrow By: on the left.
Your results will contain documents only from the practice areas or topics you selected.
To restrict your search by selecting from a list of all legal topics:
- On the Lexis Advance® home page, select Browse above the search box.
- Select Topics.
- When the topic list is displayed, do one of the following:
To... Do This Browse for a topic Click a topic name to display more detailed topics that are categorized under that name. Use the arrows to expand or collapse the hierarchical display. Search for a topic when you know the name Type a topic name, or part of the name, in the Search for topics box and select Search.
- Select the topic you want to use.
- Select Actions.
- From the menu that displays, select Add topic as a search filter